What can I expect at an appointment
Your initial appointment will involve you completing some paper work which we will discuss with you. Following this, you will receive a thorough explanation and demonstration of the physiokey. Please allow 60 minutes for your first appointment.
Each physiokey session will vary depending on the body’s response, however sessions usually vary between 30-45 minutes.
So the physiokey can have direct contact with your skin, you will be asked to remove the minimum clothing to allow your therapist easy access. The room is private, and towels are provided to cover you and maintain modesty.
When the physiokey is placed on your skin, you will be asked to say when you can feel a sensation of mild tingling or vibration. The tingling may increase during the actual treatment but should never be painful. The device is brushed over your body throughout your treatment, and at times will remain stationary. During this time, you may notice some sensations in different areas in your body. You are encouraged to explain these sensations as they occur.
At the end of your initial physiokey session, you will discuss the session’s outcomes and plan with your therapist, additional sessions to optimise your long term results (if required).
The number of sessions you require will depend on your condition. Acute issues will resolve quicker than chronic. Chronic, long lasting conditions will require a series of sessions. You will be given an estimate of the number of treatments you may need on your first session.
What is the Physiokey?
- The Physiokey is a non-invasive, electrotherapeutic hand-held medical device that can be used to alleviate acute and chronic pain and to facilitate functional restoration and improvement.
- Key Therapy also has the added benefit of iontopherosis, which means the device can be used in conjunction with creams or gels as part of your treatment plan.
How does the Physiokey work?
The therapeutic approach of physiokey functions on two physiological principles-
- that the body has it’s own healing capabilities, and
- we can promote the ability to heal by stimulation of the areas of the brain responsible for regulation of the autonomic nervous system and homeostasis.
Who is the physiokey for?
- Those who have acute or chronic pain.
- Those who have nerve numbness, pain, or burning that is not relieved by injections or medications.
- Long-term problems from injuries.
- Recent injuries or trauma to the body of any kind.
- Improvement and recovery of function.
Are there contraindications to Key Therapy?
Yes, there are. These may include-
- Patients who have on-demand type cardiac pacemaker, or other electrically powered implant
- Electrode placement over malignant tumours
- Use over open wounds
- Patients prone to seizures
- Alcohol intoxication
(Please contact us to discuss)
What about chronic pain?
The longer pain remains untreated, the greater the risk of the body becoming sensitised to pain, and the pain becoming chronic. Therefore, timely and effective treatment of acute pain is essential to prevent transition to chronic pain.
Chronic pain relief, management and recovery will take patience and time. As chronic pain is usually a long term condition, treatment will also take longer.
Sometimes, pain relief may not be possible. This is thankfully the exception rather than the rule, and the majority of patients should obtain relief.
Why is Key therapy different?
Key Therapy is unique in it’s ability to be able to locate exactly where your body requires assistance to relieve pain or restore function. The physiokey device does this by monitoring the skin’s impedance (‘stickiness’ or drag) and then changes the electrical impulse it emits accordingly.
Key Therapy will assist your body able to heal itself by opening nerve pathways and ensuring a clear message is being sent from the brain to the area requiring treatment.
Key Therapy aims to create a change in your current condition. Any change means that the body has listened to the treatment and it is working. However, some people may have an increase in pain, especially following their first treatment. This is a positive sign; as it means the body is listening to the problem, responding quickly to treatment and beginning to restore function. An increase in pain or symptoms does not usually last for any longer than 24 hours.
The physiokey utilises a proven principle of biofeedback therapy.
The device releases a stimulus onto the surface of your skin. Your body response is measured by the physiokey within a fraction of a blink of an eye.
These measured changes form the next response stimulus which physiokey sends to the skin again. In this way, a feedback loop is created which repeats itself several thousands of times in each second.